Pediatric Cardiac Intensivist
Children's Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA) seeks an additional Pediatric Cardiac Intensivist in our Division of Critical Care Medicine in the Department of Anesthesiology Critical Care Medicine (ACCM). CHLA is one of America's premier pediatric hospitals. The 24 bed Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit (CTICU) at CHLA’ Heart Institute admits over 800 patients and performs over 700 bypass cases each year. The Heart Institute was ranked 3rd in the nation on the prestigious U.S. News & World Report Best Children’s Hospitals Honor Roll for 2020-21. We care for patients with the most complex congenital heart defects and have a strong ventricular assist/transplant and extracorporeal life support program.
CHLA is a major pediatric teaching hospital and is home to The Saban Research Institute, among the largest and most productive children’s research facilities in the western United States. The core pillars of research strength in ACCM currently are in respiratory physiology, informatics, neurocritical care, outcomes and participation in multicenter clinical trials (primarily in the ICUs).
CHLA has been affiliated with the Keck School of Medicine (KSOM) of the University of Southern California (USC) since 1932. TSRI and CHLA maintain strong scientific and strategic alliances with USC and KSOM, where our physicians hold faculty appointments.
The Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine provides the following clinical
Critical care medicine for 2 pediatric intensive care units (PICUs) totaling 42 beds, a services:
- Anesthesiology and sedation services for the main operating room, ambulatory surgery center, radiology, cardiology, catheterization lab, and locations away from the main hospital campus,
- 24 cardiothoracic intensive care unit (CTICU) and a procedural sedation unit. CHLA is a Level I Trauma Center.
- Acute, post-op and chronic pain management services, including non-pharmacologic treatments such as dog therapy, acupuncture, biofeedback, etc. in our Division of Pain Medicine
- Palliative care and other comfort services providing physical, emotional, physical and spiritual support to children and teens with life threatening illnesses, and their families by our Division of Comfort & Palliative Care
- Treatment in our ambulatory clinics at our Pain and Palliative Care Centers
Current clinical providers include approximately 38 FTE anesthesiologists, 26 FTE critical care medicine physicians and 4 Palliative Care physicians.
The department operates the largest training program at CHLA, teaching nearly 250 trainees per year including residents, student registered nurse anesthetists (SRNA), and anesthesia technicians who rotate from other schools (USC, UCLA, Kaiser, and others).
Programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) include:
- Critical care (15 fellows)
- Pediatric anesthesiology (10 to 12 fellows)
- Palliative care (1 fellow)
- Non-ACGME-accredited programs include:
- Pain management (1 to 2 fellows)
- Cardiac critical care (2 fellows)
- Neurocritical Care (1 fellow)
- Cardiac anesthesia (1 to 2 fellows).
Cardiac Critical Care: We are seeking two pediatric cardiac intensivists (defined here as having had a year of training in cardiac critical care following 3 years of PCCM fellowship, dual training in Pediatric Critical Care and Cardiology, or several years of equivalent experience) to add to our faculty in covering the 24 bed Cardiothoracic ICU at CHLA. We have the largest volume cardiac surgical program on the West Coast.
The successful candidates will have impeccable clinical and interpersonal skills, and the experience or potential for significant scholarly contributions, either in research, quality improvement or education.
Jose A. Pineda, MD MSCI
Chief, Critical Care Medicine
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics (Clinical Scholar)
USC Keck School of Medicine
4650 Sunset Blvd MS#12
Los Angeles, CA 90027